Sunday, January 9, 2011

BP2_Ge.TT


BP2_Ge.TT

Hi everyone! Welcome to another blog post. This post is going to share my recent experience of looking into a Web 2.0 tool. I must start by telling you that I didn’t even know what a Web 2.0 tool was when I was reading through the assignment. During the time I was researching the project, I also watched the required Wimba video for this week, and the speaker M. Wesch was really explaining the use of these tools in the classroom, and the differences. Very appropriate.
My first stop was the link provided to me:
I searched through many of the available tools. I found that by just holding my pointer over the tool, it would tell me what the tool was used for.  When I went across Ge.TT, and it said that it was a file-sharing tool that was super fast, I was very interested. My team throughout the past 4 months has had some difficulty in this area. When we would try to email projects to each other, or through Google docs, we sometimes had uploading and transfer problems. Remembering these problems truly prompted me to try this particular tool. I didn’t feel that there would be a better tool out there for practical use than this one. I was about to find out! I clicked on the icon, and this is what I saw: 

I proceeded to sign up for an account:
You will see the next screen after you have signed up:

After I signed up, I decided to look around and see what tutorials I could find. My first stop was Lynda.com of course: 

As you can see, Lynda.com did not have any tutorials for Ge.TT.  I would not be deterred in my endeavor! I then switched searches and went to YouTube:


YouTube offered a few different videos on Ge.TT, and I watched a few. I am including 2 different links for you just in case you are interested in viewing them. They are as follows:

After I watched the videos, I felt confident in giving Ge.TT a real test drive. I logged in and uploaded screen shots:  

I must admit that the pictures loaded very quickly, and I easily sent the link to my teammates to check on the reliability of this tool.  It was not long after that I received emails from my teammates telling me that they really liked this tool, and was glad that I had discovered it.  This tool will be invaluable in the sharing of files, and projects as a team. I am extremely pleased with the results! Give it a try if you need this kind of tool! Tune in for future blogs, and in the meantime, have fun! Cheryl

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cheryl.

    Thanks for sharing your review of this file sharing Web 2.0 tool. I have been searching for a tool that is less cumbersome than Google docs or the file sharing server we have on our campus called Pantherfile. My students have also struggled with using email to share files - so I am looking forward to checking out Ge.TT and possibly offering it to them as an option. I'm glad your review team thought it might have promise as you continue to work on your research projects. Good luck and thanks for sharing!

    Jude

    ReplyDelete